Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Reading Resolutions

Happy New Year, BEA buddies! We’re only a couple of weeks into 2012 and I’ve already read a couple of great books, including The Shattering by Karen Healey and Sparks : the epic, completely true blue, (almost) holy quest of Debbie by S.J. Adams. As I continue into the year, I wanted to share with you some reading resolutions I’ve come up with for myself:

1. Read outside of my comfort zone.
For my job, I read a lot of picture books and other juvenile materials (beginning readers, chapter books, board books, etc), and for leisure reading I read a lot of young adult and science fiction and fantasy. I harbor no reading shame, but I also feel a bit of need to flex the critical reading skills I acquired in college. I have a Virginia Woolf book sitting on my shelf (which was a gift from a beloved college professor) that I have yet to read. I also have a lovely hardcover edition of Ulysses that my late mother bought for me ages ago that I want to have a go at, perhaps while eating a proper Irish breakfast somewhere.

2. Do a better job of tracking my reading in Goodreads.
I use goodreads to sort books that I’ve read into categories that I can turn to when I get reader’s advisory questions, or when I need books for a storytime. I am pretty good about tracking my reading, but I need to be more diligent about it, and do a better job with making notes about how I use certain books, or which books would suit which readers.

3. Be more willing to let books go.
I, like everyone else, only have so much time--yet I have this terrible habit of sticking with books far longer than I should. I’ve spent days reading books that bring me absolutely no enjoyment, but I have this sick need to finish what I’ve started. (And when that book happens to be the first in a series? Oh mylanta.) So I’m resolving to stick to a 50 page rule and let books go if they’re not doing it for me.

How about you--do you have any reading resolutions for the new year? And what books have you started off 2012 with?

8 comments:

  1. Hello, I am seeking feedback about the New York Book Expo in June. If you are an author (particularly a children's author)and you have attended in the past, or will be attending this year, I would like to learn about your experiences with BEA. Please contact me at facebook or twitter. Thank you. -Trinisse Chanel-

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just a simple wish—a good luck wish—to you as Official BEA Librarian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I also have reading resolutions and like you I feel obligated to finish whatever I start... I haven't been able to bring myself to go with the "Rule of 50" ... When I get stuck in a book that's hard to finish, I keep hoping there will be something redeeming in reading it.

    I have a goodreads profile if you'd like to be my friend (http://www.goodreads.com/suzeq)

    ReplyDelete
  4. #2 is also on my reading resolutions list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow really nice informations thank you man I have bookmarked your blog it is very informative blog.

    thank you

    hostgator coupon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. fastudent.com showcases an extensive collection of leisure books at discounted rates. We take pride in mentioning that we have leisure books from top notch publishers. Buy Now ?Same Day Shipping ?Cash On Delivery ?Free Delivery ?30 Day Returns. @http://www.fastudent.com/books/leisure-reads.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. fastudent.com showcases an extensive collection of leisure books at discounted rates. We take pride in mentioning that we have leisure books from top notch publishers. Buy Now ?Same Day Shipping ?Cash On Delivery ?Free Delivery ?30 Day Returns. @http://www.fastudent.com/books/leisure-reads.html

    ReplyDelete